Monday, October 4, 2010

Everyone likes a cute legume...or... Boozy Beef and Lentil Stew


The last couple of days have felt very fall-y here in Niagara. It's been quite cool, we even had to turn on the furnace yesterday. Tim and I told each other that we were turning it on to make sure it was working, so we wouldn't be caught unawares when we really need it. But somehow it has stayed on, I guess we haven't yet acclimatized to the cool weather.

All that's to say that it's soup and stew weather, or if you are a fan of Rachel Ray, it is 'stoup' weather. I think that is a 'stoupid' word but it'll suffice for tonight's dinner. Our 'stoup'erfic meal was a good one, and I'd like to share it. It involves beef and lentils, two of my favourite things and I'm calling Boozy Beef and Lentil Stew for it's inclusion of 2, that's right 2 types of alcohol (an idea I got from here).  The scotch  teamed up with the sweetness of the butternut squash to add a surprising depth of flavour.

This is a really tasty and satisfying dinner, and a good way of upping your intake of legumes, something we've been trying to do around here. I have found that lentils are the easiest way of doing that, since they are so quick-cooking comparatively with other beans. And I like that they are cute little disks. Yes, I find legumes cute, who wouldn't adore such little nutritious powerhouses. At this point you may have noticed from my affectionate descriptions of lentils that I have partaken in the cooking wine a bit, don't worry, I did put the appropriate amount in the stew before imbibing.

I served the meal with roasted butternut squash seeds and parsley as the garnishes, but only because I had them around (the squash seeds came from the squash used in the stew).  I also made a quick loaf of brown soda bread, recipe borrowed from 101 Cookbooks, though I did throw in a tablespoon or so of caraway seeds. I love the aroma and flavour that caraway adds to bread, but I recognize that it's not for everyone. Do what you will. Here is the recipe:

Boozy Beef and Lentil Stew

2 tbsp. veg oil
1 tbsp. butter
2 small yellow onions, diced finely
1 carrot, diced finely
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 -3 celery stalks, diced finely
2 1/2 lb. beef, cubed and patted dry (roughly measured, use more or less if you prefer)
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 c. diced tomatoes
500 mL red wine
3 tbsp. scotch or whiskey
4 c. stock ( I used veg stock, cuz that's what I had around but beef stock would be more flavourful)
1 c. green or brown lentils (I used green)
3 c. butternut squash (or another veg, I had this kicking around the fridge)

1. Heat veg oil and butter in a large pot over high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper and brown in small batches, being sure not to crowd the pot, for maximum brown-age. Remove beef and place in bowl.
2. Lower heat to medium and sauté the onions for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the mirepoix (carrots and celery) and the garlic and saute until just starting to soften, about another 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the browned beef, bay leaves, diced tomatoes, red wine, stock and lentils. Bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour. (The 60 minutes total will give you enough time to cook the brown soda bread if you want it.)
5. Add butternut squash and let cook an additional 20 minutes or until squash is softened.
6. Adjust seasoning.
7. Ladle up and garnish with parsley and roasted squash seeds (I roast mine with olive oil and a smattering of hot hungarian paprika and salt at 325°F for five minutes or usually 'til they are on the cusp of burning). Serve with a slice of fresh brown soda bread slathered with butter and soak up the comfort.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good that I don't even mind that you are stoking Amanda's lentil obsession. "Shaun, I have an idea. Lentils until Jan 8th!" SL

    ReplyDelete