Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chocolate-Dipped Ginger Almond Biscotti



When I was in my second year of university my roommate at the time went into a frenzy at Christmas time trying to find dark chocolate dipped crystallized ginger to give his mother for Christmas. He couldn't find any,  so we made some. That is how I was introduced to the heavenly delight that is dark chocolate dipped crystallized ginger.

I hadn't really thought about making any this Christmas and then I got a request for biscotti. Then I went to the bulk foods store to get the almonds and dark chocolate for dipping my almond biscotti in and I saw a bin of delicious crystallized ginger. Now I love ginger in all forms but crystallized ginger is my fave (mostly because it's made just for me, you know 'crystallized'). So I thought, it's Christmas, lets chop up some ginger and take these dark chocolate dipped almond biscottis up a notch. And just like in that second year of university, it was a delicious revelation. I definitely recommend this recipe.

This recipe is borrowed and altered from the Joy of Baking website. You can change up what you add to the recipe - hazelnuts are good or  lemon peel with a lemon glaze in place of the chocolate dip.

Chocolate-dipped Ginger Almond Biscotti


1 c. slivered almonds
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
2 c. flour
3/4 c. white sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 c. finely chopped crystallized ginger

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Toast almonds until fragrant and golden, 8 minutes.
3. Reduce oven to 300 F.
4. Combine dry ingredients, including sugar in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. You can start out with a wooden spoon but will need to get your hands in there to incorporate everything. You'll think it's too dry but it will end up becoming a sticky dough, just be patient and mix.
5. Form into one long 6 inch wide, 1 foot long, 3/4 of an inch high log and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.
6. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes and then cut into thin (1/2 inch cookies) with a serrated knife. Lay them all back out on the cookie sheet and bake for another 30-40 minutes (15-20 minutes on each side) or until they are no longer soft (although they are tasty soft as well).

Note: I like to coat half of each biscotti with dark chocolate (which I melt in a double boiler and then dip each one in and smooth it out with a spoon.) I usually use dark chocolate melting wafers but you could use chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Or you can leave your biscottis naked. They are good that way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment