Monday, January 24, 2011

The deed is done...almost

I'm finished my panels!...well almost. It's all glued together and drying and then we'll do the final pegging in a couple of weeks when we have carpentry again. This week, I finished fielding the backs of my two panels and reworked my frames (only slightly) to fit the panels in and then we fitted everything together and voila! a super cool and useless set of panels that has taught me how to saw, plane, make dovetails and lapjoints, make a dado, field and troubleshoot a furniture fit.
My panels and frame all trussed up with pipe clamps. The panels are free fit, so that they can shift about with changes in climate and the frame is attached around them. Right now there is just a bit of glue helping it out. It will have pegs put in each joint as well. But it was a pretty good furniture fit to begin with.
Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. I am of course, super proud of my kinda useless project and am wondering if I should paint it and do a fun artsy thing on the raised panels or if I should just wax it and put it on the wall. Any thoughts?

And then we moved on to some rudimentary large tenons which we will hopefully get to making some mortices for next time around.

The tenon that I made after clamping together the above panels and frame. It will eventually be a through-tenon. I measured and remeasured and cut very, very straight lines so this baby should it's mortice like a hand fits a glove.

No comments:

Post a Comment