Sunday, September 26, 2010

No pain, no wall...I mean, gain

On Friday we finished the dry stone wall we had started on Thursday. The job was fun, but very hard work.  Surprisingly, it was my thighs and wrists that hurt the most. Thank goodness we spent a lovely and relaxing weekend in London, ON, visiting with Tim's family and I am mostly recovered now. I think that dry stone walling could start to be offered at gyms in lieu of weight training from the burn I was feeling, but we got the project done and now you can go and see it for yourself at the Niagara Parks School of Horticulture any time you are in the area and you can think of all the pain that went into it! It was a rewarding experience though, the concepts are really quite easy to learn and I think with a little more practice I could be semi-good at making a dry stone wall on my own. I think it's a great skill to have in my back pocket for when we actually own our own property.

Here is a picture of the wall completely ripped apart:
After pulling out the completely buried pieces of stone on Thursday, we made sure to properly prep the wall before rebuilding it. You can see the gravel and landscaping fabric which will keep the stones from becoming completely buried in soil again.

And here is a picture of the finished project:
Yes, that is Geordie doing his best modeling pose on the finished wall, while Dorothy in the background actually is continuing to shim wiggly stones. I'll leave you to pass judgement, on both the pose and the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment