Monday, November 1, 2010

All sawed out, but plane-ly in love

I know it has been a while, yet again, since I posted. But I keep forgetting my camera at home, what I really need is a little point and shoot that can fit in my pocket, its a serious pain to bring the whole DSLR and its accoutrements everyday, especially when I'm walking. And I don't want to give the low down without pictures, where would be the fun. A lot of the past couple of weeks have been in class anyhow, but we are now having a weekly class in the rudiments of woodworking.
Last week we had a whole day on sawing by hand. We spent the whole day figuring out if we had a sawing bias, which until lunch, I did not have, my cuts were seriously square but after food, I apparently developed a bias to the right (don't worry, my politics have not changed). After killing many pieces of junk wood, I do believe that we were all sawed out. And yet,  not sawed out enough, since this past week, we continued to saw, but added in planing as well. At least the planing was a fun diversion from ripping 2 foot pieces of wood repetitively throughout the day.
Doug here is demonstrating what fun planing can be. No really, he does this every time he planes a board.  Just kidding.
Less kidding, more planing. The real Doug at work.
So sawing is okay, it just takes a while and a lot of patience to do it by hand. But planing was definitely fun (as you can tell by the above pictures). We definitely were really trying to kick out the sawing so we could get to the planing by the end of our second day. 

Here we have one of our many sawing trains.
But honestly, we were having fun, and we are learning all of the necessary skills for woodworking by hand, although I think we are definitely getting excited to learn more about joinery. Hopefully our sawing skills are up to snuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment