Thursday, November 4, 2010

Back in the barn...Movember?

So this week we had another session with Paul Jacobson and we now know why we've been doing all this sawing (by hand, in case you don't recall my kvetching). We are making small panels so that we can practice our joinery. Eventually we are going to make a door. I think we should make many little doors and attach them to the trees like a fun installation art project. No one else seems to be on board with this. Apparently I am crazy.
This week we worked on simple lap joints and got to go even further in the planing process. We used scrub planes and smoothers to dress the pieces of wood. Then we got to par out the joints by hand, using chisels. After quickly ruining my practice piece by jamming the chisel too far, I began to cheat by cutting a second buffer cut. A trend that soon caught on. It was a fun day. I was really excited that my sawing skills were minimally needed.


Ashleigh getting her plane on. Kristina is supervising. Look at those lovely curls!
Here's Doug's first lap joint. Notice where he effed it up and put in a second cut. An earlier and unintentional form of the buffer cut. 
What how'd this get in here??? J/K... it's Doug's moustache for Movember... apparently he didn't realize that he was participating in growing a moustache for prostate awareness month. He said it was just for a Halloween costume. I don't believe him. He totally wants to do it for a cause. And it's funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment